Nov 8, 2011

what do you think about false lashes?


i never was a false lashes girl. i am very unsatisfied with my natural lashes which are sparse, short and point straight downward, but i never considered using fake lashes, lash extensions and such sorts to add some impact to my lashline.
reason why: i just think they are much too obvious on my asian eyes. most lashes are too long, too curved and too dense to be able to fake a natural, thick lashline and wearing them would only emphasize on the phoney look. the result is inverted into something one hasn't aimed at all. it always looks fake and obvious. legit.
also, i think the bigger the lashes, the more they absorb from your eye make up, especially if you have small asian eyelids, and there's no real point anymore to put much effort into it. and i love my eyeshadows and eye brushes too much to go back to the basics.
third, i have seen much too many deterrent examples in my youth (i just say friends with one side lashes half off ... they seemed too confident and i was too insecure to tell them - no good for either side).
if it's not for arty looks, or photoshoots that aren't close up, for on-stage performances etc., i just can't become friends with falsies. especially if a person talks directly to me, it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable wearing false eyelashes, worse than any slutty make up or embarrassing clothing, i would concentrate my insecurity on my lashes - because it's just undeniably obvious from the distance you have in normal everyday interactions. what if they are about to fall off? what if my counterpart stares at my lashes, thinking less of me, my personality, my intelligence? it just pressures me to have to prove myself even more, and that's quite stressing.
i think many women with caucasian eyeshapes look even more beautiful when they have false lashes applied, but i found less than few asian women who can sport fake lashes on a daily basis and don't look awkward.
this is not meant disrespectful or to devalue anyone - each woman chooses what she likes and has an own imagine of herself, it's just not my taste. i even have difficulties to put on fake lashes for festive events. until recently, when a sister-in-law gave me some sets of false eyelashes that she bought during a trip to our home country, i only had two or three pairs of drugstore fake lashes to play around with.
here you can see the result - pretty phoney, right? haven't even dared to go out of the door with them yet.



first i have a set of flared lashes, they are pretty natural, short and fine in the inner corners, but the outer wing is too much, too flirty. here a full face comparison with/without lashes. the difference of course is even bigger since i've only coated my lashes in a super thin layer of mascara.






the other set looks denser and in fact more artificial, but the shorter outer corner makes them look a bit more normal than the other style. this one gives you a more dolly look.



what are your preferences? do you have tips on good and natural looking lashes for asian eyes? i have ordered the Princess Lee false eyelashes to try which are told to be the most natural and undetectable lashes out there, but they haven't arrived yet so i can't say anything about them. i surely have never purchased nicer and more pricey ones such as MAC, Shu Uemura and sorts. i also am curious about individual lashes, half lashes or lash segments. oh, and what's the best glue? i have one bottle of Eyelure and a tube of ModLash glue here. haven't bought Duo glue yet since i am too stingy for only occasional wear but i heard that it's the best.



23 comments:

  1. ich mag künstliche Wimpern für einige Looks, insbesondere für Fotos sieht es oft einfach besser aus. Wir Asiaten haben mit den kurzen, geraden, wenigen Wimpern schon ein tolles Los gezogen.. Not ;)

    Ich habe einige Sorten von Red Cherry ausprobiert, bestellt bei kosmetik4less. Für 2,50€ pro Paar kann man sich gut durchtesten (diese sind meist aus Echthaar).

    Mit einzelnen Wimpern kam ich bisher null klar, sie scheinen für meine Augenform nicht gemacht zu sein oder ich bin zu doof dafür sie anzubringen :D
    Ebenso halten bei mir halbe Wimpernkränze nicht, weil die Enden irgendwie komisch abstehen (insbesondere in der Mitte des Augenlids), eventuell liegt es aber auch hier nur an meiner Augenform.

    Was Wimpernkleber angeht setze ich wie viele andere auch auf DUO! Dort mag ich die schwarze Variante noch lieber als die durchsichtige.


    Die beiden Wimpern, die du ausprobiert hast, finde ich übrigens beide nicht schlecht. Vielleicht nicht für den Alltag, aber zum Ausgehen ein richtiger Hingucker für die Augen. Hast du sie bei eBay bestellt?

    Lg, Suki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not wearing lashes very often myself, as I'm still looking for more natural ones. As you said, it's personal preference, but honestly, those lashes look great on you! And I even like the first example the best! Your eyeshape looks so beautiful with them on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also ich bin ein Wimpern Fetischist und finde auch, dass sie dir sehr gut stehen! Ich selber trage sie viel zu selten, nur zu wichtigen Events. Mein Notfallkit besteht dann immer aus einem Spiegel und schwarzem Eyeliner, damit ich sie im Notfall abnehmen kann. Die Asia Wimpern, die du zeigst finde ich qualitativ ziemlich schlecht (bzw die, die ich habe), da sie ein steifes, dickes Band haben. Am liebsten mag ich die Accent Lashes von Ardell, das sind halbe Wimpern, die man nur auf den äußeren Augenwinkel klebt. Super natürlich und einfach anzubringen.
    Ich denke es kommt aber immer darauf an, was man gewohnt ist. Du bist es einfach nicht gewohnt, dich mit falschen Wimpern zu sehen, deshalb gefällt es dir wahrscheinlich auch nicht so gut. So wars bei mir mit Rouge auch mal (heute undenkbar!). Du solltest dich zu nichts zwingen müssen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautyqq (youtube) hat mal ein Video gedreht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laI-QMuLByU), wie man falsche Wimpern natürlicher aussehen lässt, indem sie die Stränge in mehrere Abschnitte schneidet und sie dann einzeln unter(!) die eigenen Wimpern klebt bzw. an die obere Wasserlinie. Habe es einmal ausprobiert und man sieht es echt kaum, da man obenrum das Band nicht sehen kann und man sieht mehr vom Augen Makeup. :)

    Ich habe auch die Princess Lee Fake Lashes, in X6schwarz und X7schwarz (auch auf anraten von beautyqq ^^), und die letzteren sehen sehr natürlich aus.

    LG

    ReplyDelete
  5. In photographs they look very pretty, but I think they tend to be obvious in real life, though individuals can be subtle enough. Unless you depend on your looks for a living, I don't think women have to try that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I mean, I don't have amazing lashes, but I simply cannot bring myself to use fake lashes - and I should add that I'm way too clumsy to put them on.
    however, you look fantastic with the natural ones.
    Veronica xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the lashes fits you well dear! You can pull them all nicely. It's just a matter of when and where to wear them. :) And ofcourse the confidence of fluttering them on top of your own lashes. :D

    xoxo,
    LoveSkinBest

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love false lashes, I don´t use them everyday but sometimes I like to spice up my make up! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely stunning on you! I don´t use falsies for luckely I have good natural lashes, but especially asian beauties look phantastic and not overdone with (the right) falsies.

    Btw, your skin looks soo flawless here! What kind of foundation/powder did you use? (My lashes are allright, but my skin is not, so I´m a little bit fixed on foundations)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ich finde, die sehen hübsch aus - wo hast du die denn her?

    Ich hab leider auch sehr bescheidene Wimpern, aber ich hab es bis jetzt noch nicht geschafft, falsche Wimpern richtig anzubringen... ka, irgendwas mach ich trotz zig YT-Videos falsch. o.O

    Das Einzige, was beim mir geht sind solche Wimpernbüschel, die sind auch viel natürlicher und man kann damit auch mehr variieren...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how false lashes look, but I have never used them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see why you might worry they would look too artificial but honestly that first set looks STUNNING on you. Insanely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you might enjoy this image for comparison's sake: http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6286/makeup1101108.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  14. ich finde wirklich, dass du beide tragen kannst, meine liebe. es ist einfach nur ungewohnt für dich jetzt ... wie ein bikini nach einem langen winter. ich bin sicher, niemandem außer dir ist das so bewusst ;-). ich habe selber noch nie welche probiert, vielleicht sollte ich mal!!!

    und OT: hast du schon die neuen rival de loop express nails lacke gesehen? da fallen ein paar fläschchen farblich in "unser beuteschema" ... habe mir heute 202 und 204 geholt, auf nagelstäbchen geswatched und bin sehr zufrieden!

    lg
    monika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your lashes look really nice in pictures but I can understand not wanting to be ott about it. I have very small Asian eyes, many of the Japanese brand lashes are just too long to look natural. I swear by Ardell 108 they look very natural best of all they are not that long. I had the hardest time mastering fake lashes, I literally struggled with them for years! I finally mastered them using Ardells. The lash band is flexible and follows the curve of my eye line. They are also very light. Good eye lash glue is also very important.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks to all of you for the overwhelming support!

    @suki: these lashes were a small present from my sister in law from her latest home leave.

    @cream: i really want to try these half lashes! but you have nice lashes naturally, so they blend into your lashes much better.

    @angie: i LOVE BeautyQQ! she's genius and i soo wish i could speak/comprehend chinese when i watch her videos. i wanted to try this method forever, but i will wait until my Princess Lee lashes arrive to do so since the ones i have here look too artificial for that method.

    @Dain: i totally get what you mean. it really looks tried-too-hard!

    @anonymous: it really looks so dolly and nice in the pictures, but for an everyday life-girl it's too much for my taste, i have to admit that i sometimes secretly smile at them when the appearance is paired with childish (means too cute or sexy) behaviour.
    i think it was Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk Foundation that i have worn on that day.

    @chinda-chan: these lashes were a gift from asia, so i don't know if you can get the exact same ones online but there are so many affordable styles on the evilbay ;)

    @Monika: haha, the bikini example was great!
    i must take a look at these polishes soon! i'm always very pleased with the quality of RdL nail polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. also einige lashes von red cherry sind mir leider zu lang, ich benutz am liebsten immer die von Dolly Wink :) die kann ich dir empfehlen, sind etwas teurer, aber die sind von der qualität und dem ergebnis her SEHR GUT :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look amazing with those lashes in the photo, but I know what you mean. I literally struggled for years to find the right lashes and the right glue. Still, I don't wear them everyday. For my small Asian eyes, I prefer half lashes ( I even cut longest part of the half lashes) and glue them with duo. Duo makes a huge difference. It stays all day and it's easy to remove. Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I personally LOVE false lashes and I think they look really great on you. Usually if I want ones that look more natural I will look for ones that look like they could be someones eyelashes. Like I noticed the ones that you have on are more of a crisscross pattern and they look really good but most people don't have lashes that grow in a perfect crisscross pattern like that. If I am buying lashes and I want them to be more natural looking I usually choose shorter lashes that aren't too perfectly patterned like Ardell Demi Wispies. Even though those ones are more plain looking they tend to look a lot more natural. I actually think individual lashes tend to look the most like natural lashes they are just a pain to put on.

    Anyway I think the lashes look gorgeous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im chinese. i have tiny eyes BUT. I wear false eyelashes everyday! It opens my eyes up more and I am more confident with my eye make up with lashes. you can see my FOTD's on my blog. I think it's how confident and comfortable you are wearing them. I get compliments EVERYDAY by my clients at work because they see my eyelashes all the time. I can't go back to mascara now..

    tzeyien89.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Honestly? I love the first lashes. You look adorable and not even a pinch of phoney. It gives u an elegant touch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ich finde falsche Wimpern schon ganz hübsch, habe nur selber keine Lust auf die Frimelei am Auge. Habe vor Jahren mal Billigwimpern von Essence probiert...zu Karneval. Fand ich schon gut, aber das war es dann auch.

    Die oberen Wimpern gefallen mir an dir. Ich habe letztens 2 asiatische Mädels gesehen, deren Wimpern sich dann bei näherem (inkognito) Hinsehen als Fake Lashes entpuppten. Eine von ihnen trug auch solche, wie du auf dem oberen Bild. Sah schon toll aus. . Auch wenn man sieht, dass es Fake Lashes sind, find ich es nicht schlimm, wenn es hübsch aussieht. Hätte ich kaum sichtbare Wimpern, würde ich sie vermutlich auch mit Fake Lashes verdichten/verlängern wollen. Es sei denn, ich finde eine Mascara, welches mich dermaßen zufriedenstellt, dass ich keine brauche.
    LG
    *chen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also have small, hooded eyes. But I don't shy away from false lashes when they are applied well. I've had extensions done twice and I love them but they never last because I tend to rub my eyes a lot.

    If I may be perfectly honest, I don't think either lash looks artificial at all on you. Neither is particularly voluminous or too-long, I think they're very natural!

    I don't wear strip lashes often because I fail at applying them. But I usually use the Revlon Precision Lash Adhesive glue.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...