Dec 22, 2011

2011 - these foundations/concealers/powders were THE BOMB.

to the end of the year i want to start a little parade of my personal "best of" cosmetics-wise for 2011, beginning today with skincare + base makeup products.


SKINCARE


i had some ups and downs with my skin this year, but also enjoyed some skincare lines which helped to get me get back to a nice-skin-condition every time. best skin care though is not on this picture: it's a healthy diet with fresh fruits and vegetables and the "not! touch! face!"-rule. these two would get the gold medal for this category.

amongst these two skin care mantras my highlights of this year were:

silver medal - Paula's Choice skincare line: definitely helped me in my worst days. i ran out of my favourite product out of the line (the Daily Smoothing Treatment) and can't find my second fave (the Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum), so the Weekly Treatment acts substitutional on this group photo ;)

bronze medal - Vichy Purété Thermale 3in1 Micellar Lotion: is my last-residues-remover and toner. it really soothes my skin and since i'm using this instead of face washs and aggressive toners my skin is calm and more resistant. it feels squeaky clean but not dry and tense afterwards.

special mention - REN Rose Synergy O12 Serum: perfect night care, even for my quite oily skin. i apply this after a hydrating serum and it keeps the moisture and calms my skin so beautifully during the night, letting me wake up with an even and radiant complexion.

other nominees were:

Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant: the best face scrub i've came across. very fine and gentle but very effective and leaves my skin incredibly smooth and soft. it clears all my clogged pores nicely, too.

Shiseido Benefiance Concentrate Anti Wrinkle Eye Cream: best eye cream i have used to date. it's nourishing but not too greasy, but its most mentionable performance is that it evens out my dryness-lines really effectively.

RapidLash: i have short, sparse, straight and stubborn lashes. this made them longer and even. if i don't use it anymore, my lashes visibly get back to their worse before-condition, even if i'm using a lash-conditioner.



FOUNDATIONS

i have used and loved soo many foundations this year, ventured from high end to drugstore, from sheer to full coverage, from dewy to matte (overview) - here is the conclusion.
i've separated this discipline into sub-categories: drugstore price level, mid-level prestige and luxury foundations. the rating is consistent, though.


bronze medal - Vichy Aera Teint Pure : in fact this is not really a drugstore product, but with a price level between 12-16€ i'm counting it in. it is lightweight, has a good coverage but natural finish. i loved it in summer months and when my skin was acting weird.

special mention - Astor 16h Mineral Match: my favourite drugstore foundation. glowy, even finish with good coverage and staying power. i hated the applicator but still went through multiple tubes of this. sadly it seems to be discontinued now :(



gold medal - Lancôme Teint Miracle : my most used and most enjoyed foundation of this year. initially i found it quite "meh" and it sat unloved in my foundation drawer for surely half a year, but last summer i tried it on when my skin was problematic and wouldn't get along with most foundations and fell in love with the smooth, luminous finish (where was it before?).

nominee - Giorgio Armani Designer Lift: a new love for a super flawless complexion. let's see if it's still "top" in 2012!

special mention - Guerlain Parure Extreme: my favourite when it comes to long-wearing formula. this one is lightweight and has a medium-high coverage but unlike other longlasting foundations this looks more natural on the skin thanks to a radiant satin finish. i'm starting to fall back in love with it after lurking around the non-longwearing-corner for some months!
 


newcomer of the year - Sisley Phyto Teint Éclat: a relatively young love but with long antecedent admiration phase ;)
this foundation applies so nicely with the fingers and creates a natural look while still covers and lasts well. i'm looking forward to love it even more in the next year!

silver medal - Guerlain Parure Gold: i never expected a nourishing formula to look and perform brilliantly on my oily skin - but this has proven me wrong. and i'm glad it did ;)



POWDERS


i'm a big powder-aficionado (prove here), but despite the Diors, Guerlains, Armanis and whatsoever, i always come back to my Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre in #20 Clair (gold medal) and Chanel White Essentiel Smoothing & Brightening Loose Powder (silver medal) to adore that perfect soft focus effect. hands down the best for a smooth, ethereal luminous finish.



CONCEALERS


i never considered myself having many concealers, but i realise that it's quite a few. here are the top picks:

gold medal - Giorgio Armani Master Corrector #2: it really works, i was amazed how my dark circles now don't have that greenish tinge underneath foundations or other concealers anymore. plus, i love the light texture.

silver medal - Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer: it was my no. 1 for a long time, but recently got kicked off the throne when i discovered the GA corrector. it's the perfect under eye concealer, though, with a very creamy consistency and high opacity. i love it's dewy but non-creasing finish, as if you have well moisturised this area.

bronze medal - Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch Concealer: i like the lightweight consistency, it's a silky luminous concealer for the undereye area but also facial blemishes. i think it will be ideal in the summer when creamier textures tend to melt off your face.



what are your base makeup & skincare faves of the year? have you tried products that i mentioned?

next episode will cover cheeks! a very interesting field of bronzers, highlighters and blushes.


11 comments:

  1. Das Chanel Puder ist auch mein Favorit dieses Jahr. Den Armani Concealer hab ich mir schon mehrmals am Counter angeschaut, aber die waren alle ziemlich dunkel

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lovee favorite posts and definitely am putting (some of xD) these products on my to-try list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love reading your blog! I'm on my second jar of Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre in #20 Clair and while I love it, I'm getting bored and want to try the White Essentiel Smoothing & Brightening Loose Powder next. Just want to know, why did it get Silver while Universelle Gold? In what way do you like it more than White Essentiel? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, thank you! I am obsessed with skincare, foundations, powders, too, and my skin is quite similar to yours, so this is very helpful and interesting.
    I think I will try the Guerlain Foundations in 2012, and maybe I will give a second chance to the Lancome Miracle (my first impression was quite the same as yours ;-)).

    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hast du schon mal das Reinigungsfluid mit Mizellentechnologie von Vichy aus der Normaderm-Reihe ausprobiert und kannst sagen, ob ein Unterschied zwischen den beiden besteht?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to have to try the Giorgio Armani Master Corrector #2. I've been using Lancome Effacernes (Medium Bisque) but it's going grey -- probably because it doesn't have correcting peach/orange undertones.

    I find that my concealer has a dry finish. Is there a concealer you could recommend that I put on top to give it a more moisturized, natural look? I have the same skin tone as you. Thanks for your help in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you everybody!

    @anonymous: the regular loose powder is a bit glowier which i like, but it also has a beautiful smoothing soft-focus effect so it gets gold. the white essentiel is predominantly creating a refined and bright skin effect, like porcellain.

    @hutschnur: i haven't tried the Normaderm Micellar Lotion yet so i can't compare...

    @boobooninja: if you have access to Manhattan cosmetics, i highly suggest you to try their Wake Up Concealer! it's quite sheer and lightweight but has just this brightening, moisturized finish that makes it perfect to layer very sheerly over matte and dull full coverage concealers. if you don't, i would gladly get one for you to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. my. I am touched by your offer.
    Thank you! I do not have access to Manhattan cosmetics. They service only Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Russia.
    Could I swap with you for something available in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mich hat bei der Astor Foundation auch der integierte Pinsel genervt. Da hab ich ihn einfach abgezogen(ja ein bisschen Gewalt ist nötig;)) aber dann kann man sie ganz normal nutzen. LG

    ReplyDelete
  10. @BoobooNinja: can you please send me an email so we can work this out? i have to know your skintone etc ;)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...